Stampeders

The Stampeders originally from Calgary Alberta and later relocated to Toronto Ontario were pioneers of the rock scene in Canada. The one thing that stands out in my mind when i think of them is the amazing number of quality hits that they had. In the early 1970's the Stampeders were the first Canadian band to tour right across Canada and were one of the first Canadian bands to use rock videos. Band members included Rich Dodson on guitar, Ronnie King on bass, and Kim Berly on drums. All three members sang vocals. I've noticed that none of the websites mention who sings which songs. I was recently at a concert and can tell you that most of the ballad type songs like Minstrel Gypsy and  Oh My Lady are sung by the drummer Kim Berly. His voice reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot at times. He also sings Wild Eyes and some of the other good songs. Devil You and Sweet City Woman are Rich Dodson. Raspier songs like Hit The Road Jack are sung by Ronny King.









over 70 Minutes With The StampedersThe Stampeders Album

Classic tunes include Sweet City Woman, Carry Me, Devil You, Oh My Lady, Minstrel Gypsy, Wild Eyes, Then Came The White Man, Hit The Road Jack, Monday Morning Choo Choo, Ramona, Sweet Love Bandit, New Orleans, Playin' In The Band, San Diego, and Blue-Eyed Woman.



"I'd go anywhere they want me
But baby I'm home where you are
Baby I'm a minstrel gypsy
And I want you with me, yeah
Cause only with you I'm a star"

No comments:


Canada

Over the years many great music artists have come from Canada. A country with a small population has produced a surprising amount of talent. To find out how Canada rocks read the blogs, get the music and go to a show.